Animal Cruelty Reporting

If the animal is in immediate danger, please contact your local law enforcement agency or the Vermont State Police.

Information on Reporting Animal Cruelty and Neglect in Vermont: 

To Report Animal Cruelty by Phone:
The following agencies will be able to get your complaint into the right hands for investigation:

County                      Organization/Phone Number

Addison                     Homeward Bound Animal Welfare Center (802) 388-1100
Bennington                2nd Chance Animal Center (802) 375-2898
Caledonia                  St. Johnsbury Police Department (802) 748-2315
Chittenden                 Humane Society of Chittenden County (802) 862-0135
Burlington Only*        Burlington Police Department (802)658-2700
Essex                         P.E.T.S. of the Kingdom (802) 754-6530
Franklin                      Franklin County Humane Society (802) 524-9650
Grand Isle                  Humane Society of Chittenden County (802) 862-0135
Lamoille                     North Country Animal League (802) 888-5065
Orange                      Central Vermont Humane Society (802) 476-3811
Orleans                      P.E.T.S.of the Kingdom (802) 754-6530
Rutland                      Rutland County Humane Society (802) 483-6700
Washington               Central Vermont Humane Society (802) 476-3811
Windham                   Windham County Humane Society (802) 254-2232
Windsor                     Lucy Mackenzie Humane Society (802) 484-5829


Veterinarians Trained in Animal Cruelty Investigations - Updated 2022